Sunday sewing ...

As I mentioned yesterday, I am working on my final SWAP garment. Originally I had a red frock coat planned, but the red of the coat fabric is too orange compared to the red Vogue dress, so I went for plan B. Last winter I cut out a winter white wool coat to go with my vanilla choc orange theme and never got around to making it. I pulled it out on Friday and got started. It's BWOF 09-2007-104 coat. I made the jacket version of this a couple of years ago and I love the swingy, retro feel it has. When I sewed the shell, it looked so WHITE and lab coat like, so I started messing around with buttons to see if I could bring it to life.

Here it is with some red buttons I'm dying to use for something. Not convinced about this.
Here is it with some lovely square white buttons I found at the op shop for 50c. Way too boring.

I like the idea of one big button and I've seen a very large red one at my local fabric store. This is the largest button in my stash and it's a pinky orange and still too small, but you get the idea.

Then I pulled out these black ones. They came in a 1kg bag of buttons I bought from All Buttons Great and Small in Sydney. Every time I go there I buy a bag in another colour. I painstakingly sort them out and find some real gems in there. So many buttons I've used in recent years are buttons I would never have bought, but they turn out to be the absolute perfect choice. These are like large daisies and complete the retro look. I even have a couple of smaller ones I might put on the sleeves.

While I was contemplating this combination and thinking about bound buttonholes, I realised I have no idea where the scraps of this wool are as I cut it out a year ago. My eyes lighted on a length of black faux leather that was sitting on the bed (leftover from a costume I made for a party). I'm going to do the buttonholes in black faux leather. I've also cut an inner collar stand from the same faux leather. I may also add tabs on the sleeves, but I'll see how it looks once the buttonholes are done. I'm not entirely in love with this project yet, but once the collar goes on I may feel differently.

Shannon posted a lovely shot of Simon on her blog, so I thought I'd give a you a shot of Molly asleep on the floor yesterday afternoon. She was right next to where I was cutting out the striped shirt and I had to step over her all afternoon. Molly's mother was a lemon beagle and it seems that they like to sleep on their backs.

Comments

Faye Lewis said…
I love the black buttons.
Sheila said…
I like the black buttons too.
Shannon said…
Your coat is looking great! I like the black buttons - the look is very classic and chic.

Molly is hilarious! What is it with beagles and sleeping in strange positions? Every once and a while I find Simon asleep in a seated position with his back against some pillows, just like a little person. Weird.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up